Opelousas, LA asked in Family Law, Civil Rights, Domestic Violence and Health Care Law for Louisiana

Q: Can I legally get arrested and commitment to a rehab or insane asylum for hearing voices and exhibiting odd behavior?

I was in my own home that I jointly own with my mother and one of my two sisters that lives with me called the state marshall and said I was staying up all night and hearing voices which is true,laughing and talking with them while they had me on strong mental health meds. My other sister collaborated with her and let the marshalls in my house to arrest me for this. Not one time but three separate times. I am worried about my health and safety and for my future living here. Is there some way out of my situation where I can still live where I am and don't have to move?

1 Lawyer Answer
Ellen Cronin Badeaux
Ellen Cronin Badeaux
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Covington, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: Anyone can call the Coroner to have your committed for 72 hour examination.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.