Newberry, SC asked in Insurance Defense for Michigan

Q: I have questions about having medical records release.

I'm struggling to find help in my situation about having my deceased father's medical records release to his insurance company. I am the original beneficiary on his policy, but his oldest daughter had my name removed from his policy. I wish I can afford a lawyer to guide me through this situation because I don't know what to do next.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: It doesn't sound like your issue is necessarily with the insurance company. Their job is complete when they pay out the policy to the named beneficiary; they don't get into disputes like this. Your avenue of relief might be through the probate court; if a probate administration has not been opened, you could file one to be named personal representative; that would enable you legal access to records and such. But as a forewarning: I've handled many probate litigation matters involving siblings claiming another sibling did something against a deceased parent's wishes. Often times, there simply is no evidence of that; other times, it's discovered that the parent actually intended for the change. No reason is necessarily, and that can be a heart wrenching discovery. So be prepared emotionally as well as legally.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.