Laurel, MD asked in Elder Law, Libel & Slander and Nursing Home Abuse for Maryland

Q: I was involuntarily discharged skilled nursing. While I was getting emergency care

They are refusing to send paperwork to another so I can go to another

1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Little Neck, NY

A: I'm sorry this happened to you. A Maryland attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for a number of weeks. As a GENERAL matter nationwide, patient discharges are often one-sided decisions. The patient may have certain recourses such as appealing or working with a facility's social services department. But for the most part, once physicians and medical staff have made a determination that the patient will be discharged based on medical diagnosis or other parameters (such as reached maximum improvement), that's usually it. You could consult with Maryland attorney for more state-specific guidance, and you could look into other facilities. But keep in mind that if discharge involved termination of insurance coverage, other facilities could take a similar position. Good luck

Tim Akpinar

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.