Wailuku, HI asked in Real Estate Law and Probate for Hawaii

Q: My husbands ex fiancé won’t sign the quit claim deed for the house....

She left him a year after they purchased the house. She moved off island. She has never paid the mortgage or anything. He and I have been together for 8 years now, living in the house. He and I have a child together and are married. If anything were to happen to him or me, we want to make sure our daughter has the house.

So, we are trying to get his ex’s name off of everything but she’s refusing to sign anything cause she wants the house for their daughter. What can we do??

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Crossville, TN

A: If you can’t get her to agree to some kind of voluntary settlement then you will need to bring a quiet title lawsuit against her.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.