Asked in Child Custody, Family Law and Domestic Violence for Kentucky

Q: Judge granted joint custody and my ex has an assault charge. EPO, etc. How can I gain sole custody??? In Kentucky

Ex-husband is on 2nd EPO and has assault charges from abusing me. 2 contempt charges for breaking into my home within the last few months. The divorce was done in the next county over, however wasnt signed by the judge yet pwhen we were in court here for the assault charge and original EPO. The law was passed that joint custody will not be granted if there are assault charges, right? So whats my first step here? And thanks :)

1 Lawyer Answer
Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Louisville, KY
  • Licensed in Kentucky

A: If the judge granted Joint custody with the assault charges pending, there is not likely anything that can be done. If the assault charges occurred after the grant of joint custody, you could move to modify to sole custody if you can show that he presents a danger to the child.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.