Lakeville, MN asked in Gov & Administrative Law and Small Claims for Minnesota

Q: How long can the government keep my property that was seized outside the scope of their action?

I sent a part for my car to a shop in another state to be repaired. This part is a critical component that makes my car inoperable in its absence. While my part was in the repair facility, the police ordered the business closed due to their failure to pay a judgement on a civil suit brought by a former employee. As a result of this action my car part was seized. I have been without my car for nearly two months. Do I have any recourse to recover damages for loss of use and/or replacement costs? It doesn’t seem right that the government can take my property when it was not a part of any criminal activity.

1 Lawyer Answer
William Bailey
William Bailey
  • Bloomington, MN
  • Licensed in Minnesota

A: Have you contacted law enforcement to see about recovering your property? I would suggest that as a first step.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.