Mesick, MI asked in Estate Planning for Michigan

Q: My uncle passed away and my dad is the only immediate relative left. What happens with his property now?

My uncle passed in September. My dad is the only immediate relative since his parents and other sibling have passed previously. We are told we need to go through probate to sign his property over. What are the steps needed to take when only one relative is left? Please help, from Michigan.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Don L Rosenberg
Don L Rosenberg
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Troy, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: If the assets/property is in your uncle's individual name the only way to obtain access is through a probate administration. If your uncle has a will then it is a road map for his estate. If not then there is a process. if there is family harmony it is an informal process. I can explain in greater detail and offer a free consultation.

Don Rosenberg

Brent T. Geers agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.