Federal Way, WA asked in Criminal Law for Washington

Q: I have a question ..if I entered a guilty plea can I withdraw my guilty plea ..before sentencing day ?

Can I hire a lawyer and fire the public defender ?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Patrick Owen Earl
Patrick Owen Earl
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Moses Lake, WA
  • Licensed in Washington

A: Yes you can withdraw a plea of guilty to a case before sentencing but it is VERY VERY HARD to do.

Typically it isn't allowed by the Judge because when you entered your plea of guilty the Judge asked you a bunch of questions about your decision to enter the plea of guilty and whether you had any questions about it, understood what you were doing, whether you were under the influence of alcohol, drugs or prescription drugs and whether you were doing it voluntarily.

Because of all of this it is extremely difficult to withdraw a plea of guilty to a criminal offense but it is possible.

Yes you can hire a private attorney at any time during the process but that doesn't mean that the court will allow the withdrawal of the plea FYI.

Good Luck to you

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.