Blue Bell, PA asked in Child Support for Massachusetts

Q: Interest owed to mother that never had the child in the first place.

I owe arrears and interest to the mother. The child is of age now, and on her own. I wanted to know if there is a precedent to give to a court that could waive the the interest owed to the mother and to the commonwealth. She never had the child for the majority of the child's life. She pawned the child off on the grandmother and aunt for years at a time. We have proof, and the child would testify to those facts. Yet she collects the support. We would like to settle with her and the commonwealth. to pay only the arrears and waive all interest and penalties. Is this doable?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Paul Ylvisaker
Paul Ylvisaker

A: Some states grant the court the ability to suspend interest on child support. There are other consideration, but you will have to bring that to a court’s attention in a proper legal action. I would recommend the use of an experienced family law attorney to assist you with that process or possibly a state legal aid service whose services you might qualify for dependent upon finalcial circumstances. The Court does not have the authority to retroactively modify a child support order, absent a showing of fraud upon the court. Not all states follow this line of reasoning however.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.