Salt Lake City, UT asked in Child Custody, Child Support and Family Law for Idaho

Q: My ex is trying to get 50/50 custody. I’ve always had primary custody. She’s a teen & he emotionally neglects her.

What are my options? I believe his reason for wanting more custody is to reduce his child support obligation. He makes a lot of money now vs when we had our first agreement. Can he truly be granted 50/50? When he’s never had that much time throughout her life. How can I protect her & my parental rights?

1 Lawyer Answer
Kevin M Rogers
Kevin M Rogers
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Boise, ID
  • Licensed in Idaho

A: The Court is required to do what is in the best interests of the minor child. The father's motives notwithstanding, the Court will do what is in the child's best interests. There are a myriad off options for you to take to protect your parental rights. The major thing is to be observant and flexible. If the father is not flexible and does not coparent in a positive way, the Court should be made aware of this.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.