Sidney, NY asked in Family Law, Adoption, Child Custody and Civil Litigation for New York

Q: me and my grandmother had a big fight and shes practically kicking me out. what are my options In leaving? I'm only 16.

she wont pay for anything I need anymore including famine products hygiene products or clothes or anything I need. I tried moving in my mother but my grandma said that its court ordered that I cant live with her until I'm 18. can a court do that? how can it be possible that I can live with her again? I need out of this house. my mental issues have become extremely bad and shes not helping me with them. I just would like to know my options with moving out.

1 Lawyer Answer
Lawrence Allen Weinreich
Lawrence Allen Weinreich
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Garden City, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: First you need to speak to your mother and find out what orders if any there are. Once you know what the order says if anything, you can speak to a lawyer to get information on what to do. The alternative, is to go to family court and file a petition for support from your grandmother as she is responsible for your needs until 21 if she has custody. Another way to go is to call child protective services and file a complaint.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.