Hollywood, FL asked in Civil Litigation for Florida

Q: Motion for an extension due COVID 19

The plaintiff would like to schedule a special set hearing, but my husband has contracted COVID 19 and is not able to participate in a hearing. I am attempting to assist so he does not lose the case. Do I have to select a date for him since he is not doing well due to COVID 19 or should we contact the court and make a motion to postpone until we determine if he will overcome his health challenges?

We are also pursuing retaining an attorney, but any response to the above questions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Charles M.  Baron
Charles M. Baron
  • Hollywood, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: The first step is to ask the other side to agree to a later date. If they agree, the problem is solved.

If they don't agree, and the other side goes ahead and notices the hearing, your husband would need to file a motion for continuance (postponement) of the hearing, and, if necessary, make it an emergency motion. Once such a motion is filed, there should be communication to the judge's office, and perhaps the issue would be solved without a hearing on the motion for continuance. A problem you may face is that, while you may assist your husband, you cannot represent him, and the other side (if they're not nice) can choose to totally ignore communications from you, including on hearing date selection.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.