Sparks, NV asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Nevada

Q: Long story short,4 yrs ago, my ex-husband adopted our 2 youngest grandsons, our daughter is mentally unstable. I have

The boys, with few exceptions, every weekend, holiday's and vacations. My question is what needs to be done so I can get custody of them should or when my ex can't? Do I have grandparent rights ?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Bonnie M Lonardo
Bonnie M Lonardo
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Las Vegas, NV
  • Licensed in Nevada

A: If you have had a long standing visitation arrangement as well as a positive relationship with your grandchildren, and have evidence that it is in the child’s best interest that they remain in your care, then you may have a case to motion for joint custody. The right to child custody is only given to the child’s biological parents, therefore it is the burden of any other relative, grandparent or otherwise, to prove to the court that custody or visitation with that individual is in the child’s best interest. There are many factors involved in grandparent custody cases, therefore it’s best that you speak with an experienced Family Law attorney to discuss the details of the case and what options you may have.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.