Houston, TX asked in DUI / DWI, Real Estate Law, Car Accidents and Wrongful Death for Colorado

Q: My wages are being garnished due to a criminal/civil lawsuit. If I buy a house, could it be taken from me?

I was convicted of vehicle homicide/DUI in 2008. My friend died and his family sued me for $20 million. My wages are garnished at 25% after taxes.

1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • DUI & DWI Lawyer
  • Knoxville, TN

A: You need to talk to a competent attorney about asset protection and exemption rights in whatever State you are going to live in. The exact Deed Grantee will be critical, and you need that lawyer to tell you what to do. Sometimes trusts are useful, but probably not here. The lawyer's advice should only cost a minimal fee, but is essential. You should have already known alot of this. Also keep away from public forums, as this question may alert the creditor. POBox might be needed.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.