Hollywood, FL asked in Civil Litigation for Florida

Q: Schedule a Special Set Hearing

I have been attempting to schedule a special set hearing for a Motion to dismiss for a few months, but the opposing party continues to state they have COVID 19 complications and will not be able to present their opposing motion. Can I schedule the hearing? Or do I have to wait for the opposing party to agree to a date? Can I ask for documentation of their diagnosis?

Thank you.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick
  • Tallahassee, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: These are very unusual times--and thus require using unusual means to get things done in the judicial system.

I suggest re-filing your motion as an "Unconsented Amended Motion to Dismiss" together with a SEPARATE motion requesting a hearing date be set. Explain at the very onset why you are filing an unconsented amended motion--because the other side is not cooperating on setting a hearing date. That should cause a response which will probably raise Covid as the excuse for dragging their feet; then you just let the Judge decide how to handle this snafu.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.