Lawrence, MA asked in Consumer Law and Lemon Law for Massachusetts

Q: Hi, I like know about consumer law. I want to know about my rights.

I bought a used car from dealership and during my purchase I was not told about the Defects that involve the actual operation of the car. Examples include the brakes, tires, and Blind Spot Detection system. I replaced the tires and brakes and pay to dealership worth($500) and they told me to go to nearest Hyundai to fix my BSD. My nearest Hyundai (paid labor $124) told me that the car had a accident before (I was not aware of while purchasing) and the rear sensor and bracket that hold sensor is broken and It needs replacement. Dealership just changed the sensor and now the warning came back again. Hyundai quote more than $1000 to replace bumper (broken bracket) & do calibration. My dealership is not cooperating and simply refusing to do anything. They are making me run from dealership to my nearest Hyundai for almost 8 months now. My question is- They sold me this car with the BSD warning sign and now refuses to fix this. Am I suppose to pay for the bumper replacement and calibration?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Christopher Tolley
Christopher Tolley
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Boston, MA
  • Licensed in Massachusetts

A: You may be entitled to relief under the Massachusetts Lemon Law. I suggest you review the requirements here: You should also visit: The dealer has to have given you a warranty (I assume this is a used

The issues are did the dealer violate the used car warranty (I assume the car is used) when it charged you for the initial repairs for the brakes, tires and BSD, was the warranty still in effect when they performed those repairs, are those repairs, as well as the need for a new bumper, covered by the warranty.

Can you find a used bumper or get one online more cheaply? Dealers tend to sell OEM parts which are more expensive.

If all else fails, you can always sue in small claims court. See if the court clerk will help you fill out the form and explain why you were treated unfairly and how much money you are entitled to.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.