Kula, HI asked in Adoption, Child Custody and Domestic Violence for Florida

Q: I have a child from an unmarried relationship and my husband and I would like for him to be able to adopt her.

The father on the birth certificate has not seen her since her first birthday. Has not provided any financial support since her birth and only tries to contact me on her birthday every year and she is now five. He is already involved in another custody case with his wife who is trying to get a divorce from him because of domestic violence. He is was also abusive to me when we were together. My husband has lived with and supported my child for four years.

1 Lawyer Answer
Rand Scott Lieber
Rand Scott Lieber
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Hollywood, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: You must address the biological father's rights one way or another. The easier way id for the bio father to consent to the adoption. The more difficult way is for you to go to court to terminate bio father's parental rights. One of those two things must happen to facilitate the adoption by your current husband.

Stephen Arnold Black agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.