Dallas, TX asked in Education Law for Texas

Q: If a 13-year-old in the 7th grade, in texas suffers from ADD, is there any sort of special help/bonus they can receive?

this student resides in Dallas county and goes to highland park middles school, in the highland park independent school district.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kimberly Winslow
Kimberly Winslow
  • Education Law Lawyer
  • Natick, MA

A: It is possible that your student could qualify for 504 Accommodations or a Special Education (IEP). You may consider requesting an evaluation for eligibility.

In order to be entitled to a special education, the student must have a qualifying disability and the disability must adversely affect the child’s educational progress. Not all students with disabilities struggle in school, so a diagnosis alone is not enough. Likewise, passing grades alone are not proof of educational success. If a student with a covered disability is unable to attend class regularly, struggles to behave appropriately and/or lacks the skills to meaningfully interact with teachers and peers, then he/she may be entitled to specially designed instruction and/or related services, i.e. a special education.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.