Madera, CA asked in Family Law for Nevada

Q: If I have my deceased sisters kids, because the father left them, how can I file he abandoned them?

He has been gone for 7 months without contact or providing support. I have them, want to keep them. But what route do I go in order to do so? Can I file for guardianship while they're in my home? Or do I need to call cps and have them go into the system first in order for it to be on Record that he abandoned them?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Bonnie M Lonardo
Bonnie M Lonardo
  • Las Vegas, NV
  • Licensed in Nevada

A: You may petition the court for guardianship, however you will have the burden of proving that being the guardian for the children, over their biological father, is in the children’s best interest. In doing so, it would serve your case to include evidence of his abandonment.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.