North Canton, OH asked in Social Security for Ohio

Q: Somebody use my social to commit a crime don't I have a right to this info

I got pulled over they ran my plates and they were flagged they said somebody use my social to commit a crime but would not give me any more info since they used my social don't I have a right to know the act or the person who used my social

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Susan Michele Schaefer
Susan Michele Schaefer
  • Social Security Disability Lawyer
  • Prattville, AL

A: Since you suspect someone is using your Social Security number and may be committing identity fraud, you should immediately report the incident to the Federal Trade Commission's (FTC) at their website Social Security also recommends that you review earnings posted to your record on your Social Security Statement by accessing your My Social Security account to make sure that someone is not using your Social Security number for work purposes. Here is some more information about this from Social Security at,

Continue to monitor your credit by getting a free credit report from one of the three major consumer credit bureaus. Report to the credit bureaus any evidence of misuse.

You can also file a police report about identity fraud/misuse of your Social Security number with your local jurisdiction. While your city or county may not be able to investigate this crime, having a police report can be an essential document to help you to recover from identity theft.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.