Ohio Social Security Questions & Answers

Q: My dad forged my signature on a social security check and cashed it without my knowledge. What can I do.

1 Answer | Asked in Social Security for Ohio on
Answered on Jan 4, 2019
Matthew Williams' answer
Since he is deceased, probably not much. If you can prove it, you may get the bank refund it, or the SSA to reissue the check, but it would almost certainly take more work than its worth unless they volunteer.

Q: Yes i was staying with some peaple i thought was my friends but have been robbing me for years and i was month to month

1 Answer | Asked in Identity Theft, Landlord - Tenant, Libel & Slander and Social Security for Ohio on
Answered on Feb 19, 2018
Joseph Jaap's answer
File a police report. They might help. Or contact your local legal aid, or sue the landlord in small claims court for wrongful eviction and the value of your things and the cost to find alternate living arrangements.

Q: How difficult or easy is it typically to get a Social Security overpayment erased via bankruptcy? I live in Cleveland,OH

1 Answer | Asked in Bankruptcy and Social Security for Ohio on
Answered on Jan 12, 2018
Matthew Williams' answer
Bankruptcy, while it may wipe out some other debts making this one easier to pay, isn't going to wipe this out. He needs a lawyer to help him demonstrate to SS that he didn't cause the overpayment or benefit from it so that they go after the right people and also so that he avoids potential criminal charges.

Q: Who has access to the social security number.

1 Answer | Asked in Social Security for Ohio on
Answered on Jan 3, 2018
Matthew Williams' answer
It is very likely that they do have the number.

Q: Can I file for bankruptcy after I've filed for social security disability

2 Answers | Asked in Bankruptcy, Divorce, Medical Malpractice and Social Security for Ohio on
Answered on May 18, 2017
Stuart Nachbar's answer
Yes, you can file for Bankruptcy. Social Security Benefits are exempt from Bankruptcy and Creditors

Q: Does US Social Security payments count as income when calculating Australian Age pension?

1 Answer | Asked in Social Security for Ohio on
Answered on Jun 30, 2015
Matthew Williams' answer
In Australia? Wow, I have no idea. You would need to ask an attorney in Australia. I don't believe this site includes attorneys from countries outside the US.

Q: Can my husband give me some of his Social Security Credits

1 Answer | Asked in Social Security for Ohio on
Answered on Nov 6, 2013
Eva Clement's answer
Unfortunately, credits are not transferable between people. However you may be eligible for a spousal benefit off of your husband's record. You are correct in that you have to wait until your husband starts drawing his benefits in order to collect your spousal benefit.

Q: I have been waiting on a decision on my SSI claim for 7yrs I still have not got a answer what do I do?

1 Answer | Asked in Social Security for Ohio on
Answered on Mar 28, 2013
Clint Curtis' answer
Social Security is running about 18 months to 24 months. Probably your claim was denied and you did not receive the letter. Go to a Social Security attorney and have them file your claim. They will monitor it for you and do a professional job of presenting your case. If for some reason it is still pending, they will be able to find out the problem.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.