Liberty Hill, TX asked in Car Accidents for Texas

Q: Can I be sued from a car accident my daughter was involved in in another state? I don't live in the same state.

Car was registered to me but I live in a different state. Texas she lives in Washington state. I received lawsuit paperwork.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Teri A. Walter
Teri A. Walter
  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Houston, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Well, you have been sued, so I guess they can sue you. What you really want to know is whether you have any liability for the damages. Typically, if you weren't the one driving, the answer is no - you're not liable, unless they can show that you allowed someone you knew to be dangerous to drive your car. Examples might be someone without a license, or who was intoxicated at the time.

The simplest answer is to turn the claim over to your insurance carrier. They will provide a defense and pay the claim, if it's covered. If not, you will need to hire counsel in the jurisdiction where the suit is filed to defend you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.