Salisbury, NC asked in Family Law for North Carolina

Q: I have a 16 year old who no longer wants to live with there father. I have been to court several times.

Only reason the father wants our son is to keep from paying child support. I don't want it. They keep denying me but cant find me unfit

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Amanda Bowden Johnson
Amanda Bowden Johnson pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Jacksonville, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: What the child wants is not really relevant nor is the fact that you have not be deemed to be unfit. The Court (or more specifically a Judge) makes their decision based on what they believe is best for the child under the current circumstances. You seemed to imply that you have attempted to get custody in the past but have been denied. If you have actually attempted a custody action with an attorney, you may want to consult with that attorney to see if anything has changed that might give you a better chance. If you attempted to get custody by representing yourself - that is more likely that not why you have been denied. Doing your own legal work, especially something as complex as a custody action is the functional equivalent of attempting to rebuild your car's transmission yourself if you aren't a mechanic. So if you have tried in the past yourself, you should definitely consult with a family law attorney who can review your current situation in more detail and lay out your options for you. Best of luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.