Las Vegas, NV asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Nevada

Q: mother died am I guardian?

The child is 7 years old. I am listed as the father on the birth certificate. We are divorced. During the divorce she was given full custody as the dna test came back, I was not the paternal father. She died out of the country and I am trying to get the child back to the U.S. The actual paternal father has never been in the picture. I have been talking with the state, embassy. The embassy will take immediate action per the guardians wishes. Am i the legal guardian.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Bonnie M Lonardo
Bonnie M Lonardo
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Las Vegas, NV
  • Licensed in Nevada

A: If the mother had full custody of the child prior to her death, the child will likely be taken into state custody until arrangements have been made for a family member or guardian to care for the child. If not predetermined by the mother’s will, that process may include a hearing to determine guardianship for the child. This decision will be made based on what is in the child’s best interest.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.