Cambridge, MA asked in Immigration Law for Connecticut

Q: Can I apply for Naturalization with a first DUI offense I got in CT 2 years ago.

Legal question. I got my first dui November 2019 in CT-no accident involved. My criminal lawyer said that they will seal the case and wont show up in my record. Because of covid they kept suspending my case until now and the court hasn’t have happened yet. In August 20’ I made 5 years in US with a green card and I want to apply for naturalization now. Are they going to deny my the citizenship. Should I apply now? What is your advise? I read that a dui can affect “moral character” in the interview, but according to the law isn’t it 2 or more dui’s that affect the moral character?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kyndra L Mulder
Kyndra L Mulder
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Jacksonville, FL

A: You will not be granted naturalization with a pending DUI.

even though the case may be sealed and not on your record you must answer yes to the question whether you have ever been arrested and convicted. you must furnish a complete certified c opy of the record to the USCIS.

There is a five year period of time prior to being granted naturalization wherein you must show that you have good moral character and/or you are rehabilitated.

A DUI is considered a serious misdemeanor and you can not only be denied naturalization but you can be placed in removal proceedings.

You will need to show that you do not have a substance abuse problem and the you are rehabilitated AND if you file prior to the 5 years you may be denied.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.