Dallas, TX asked in Civil Rights and Social Security for Texas

Q: Hello, I applied for disability and now it has been 11 months and I haven’t heard anything back from the state.

Do I need a lawyer and how much will it cost?

Related Topics:
3 Lawyer Answers
Kenneth Prigmore
Kenneth Prigmore

A: Long waits are normal in this process, but it's always ok to call SSA at 1-800-772-1213 and ask for an update. It is normal to be denied and then have to appeal a couple of times before you get a hearing. Talking to an attorney is a great idea, as they will discuss your health issues and give you a realistic idea of your chances of eventually winning a claim. They will do this for free, and they get paid when you win out of the funds owed to you by SSA.

1 user found this answer helpful

Scott F Bocchio
Scott F Bocchio pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: Hi, it is not unusual to wait this long. The pandemic has certainly slowed down the process. I would advise calling your local field office and inquiring.

Scott Bocchio, Esq.

Legal Rights Advocates


Susan Michele Schaefer
Susan Michele Schaefer
  • Social Security Disability Lawyer
  • Prattville, AL

A: Your 11 month wait for a disability decision from Social Security is about what I have been experiencing with my clients' cases since COVID. You can either call Social Security and ask about the status of your case or you can go to My Social Security and check for updates online.

I agree that it would be a good idea to consult with a disability lawyer about your case. Most offer a free initial consultation. You can decide if you want to hire a disability lawyer after your consultation and discussion of your case issues. Generally, disability lawyers charge a contingency fee of 25 percent of your back benefits or $6,000.00 whichever is less and they only get paid if you win your case and are allowed disability benefits.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.