Alexandria, VA asked in Estate Planning for Oklahoma

Q: Mom passed 2012. Brother trustee. Sister & me beneficiaries. Brother refuses to answer questions about trust.

I hired an attorney years ago to ask my brother about my mom's living trust.

To this day, my brother refuses to acknowledge that I'm a beneficiary and won't release funds.

My attorney said that my brother thinks he's above the law. He's a doctor. I'm retired now with a limited income. I can't afford to hire anyone right now.

Do I just give up?

He has unlimited resources.

What can I do?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Charles Watts
Charles Watts
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: Without the assistance of a competent attorney then you could be waiting a long time for any recovery from your mothers estate. I am not saying just give up, but you will need wise counsel in resolving your issue.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.