Cumberland, MD asked in Animal / Dog Law for Maryland

Q: I found a stray dog almost a year ago. I’m trying to move apartments and need his papers and proof of shots. How?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley
  • Rockville, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: You take the dog to the vet and have the vet give the dog all its shots, then provide you with the statement of the bill detailing all the vaccines administered. It will cot you $200-$400, depending on the vet. If you know of a way to confirm from some other vet that the dog already was given its shots, then you'd find the original owners of the dog, since their info would be on file. Otherwise, the assumption should be that this dog has never had any shots. Many dogs have microchips embedded under their skin, and the vet can do a simple scan with a hand-held device of the dog to detect the chip and learn the owner's name (the owner's name and contact info is registered on the chip and in a national registry).

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.