Irving, TX asked in Car Accidents for Texas

Q: If someone is refusing to pay for damages they did while driving my car, can i sue? Or what would be my best option?

I let someone use my car and they damaged the whole driver side. They said theyd pay for damages, but now they are giving me a hard time with getting it fixed. Refusing to pay. I have text messages stating they would pay for the damages but no other proof that they were driving.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Sadat  Montgomery
Sadat Montgomery
  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Dallas, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Do you have collision insurance? As a general rule, auto insurance follows the vehicle rather than the driver. If you do have collision coverage, your best bet may be to file a claim, pay the deductible, and work out a deal (in writing) with this person to pay you back anything you had to pay out of pocket (deductible, rental car, etc). If they fail to pay you back as agreed, take them to small claims court.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.