Queens, NY asked in Landlord - Tenant for New York

Q: I am a landlord in NYC, my tenant own 7 months of back rent,can I add authority fee for eviction case?

Tenant was given 60 days notice to terminate and will move to evict after, tenant sign hardship declaration form, can I challenge it in court?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Toshinori Isoai
Toshinori Isoai
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • New City, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: Despite the termination notice, you won't probably be able to bring a proceeding against your tenant until at lease May of 2021 in NYC if nonpayment of the rent is the only cause for the prcoeeding (as opposed to the tenant's doing something illegal in the premises or banned in violation of the terms of the lease) and the form was provided to you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.