Bristol, RI asked in Child Support, Divorce and Family Law for Rhode Island

Q: I am in the process of a divorce. I am pregnant with someone elses child. What steps would I need to establish paternity

Husband and I have lived separately for over 5 years. Divorce papers have been filed. The baby's biological father admits paternity and wants to be on the birth certificate/ the child to have his last name.

1 Lawyer Answer
Neville Bedford
Neville Bedford
  • Licensed in Rhode Island

A: Your attorney will be able to help you collect and present the appropriate evidence to meet the burden of proof required to overcome the presumption of paternity of a child born during a marriage in the State of Rhode Island. If you have not yet met with, and retained an attorney to advocate for you, now would be a great time to address that. If the first hearing date is imminent, ask the judge for a continuance to allow you time to retain your own representative to represent and assist you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.