Chapel Hill, NC asked in Family Law and Collections for North Carolina

Q: How to renew a money judgment for back alimony in North Carolina when the defendant (debtor) is out of the country?

$50,000 plus interest judgment hits 10 year mark in 11 months. Debtor lives out of the country. Can I renew without serving them?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mr. Albert Loch Saslow
Mr. Albert Loch Saslow
  • Greensboro, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: No, "renewing" a judgment involves filing a new lawsuit. An essential part of any lawsuit is that you have to serve the defendant - regardless of whether the defendant is in the country or not. There are ways to serve someone who isn't in the country, but they can be complicated and difficult. You also have to evaluate whether this is something even worth considering. How realistic is it that you are going to collect on the back alimony?

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.