Sacramento, CA asked in Land Use & Zoning, Real Estate Law and Tax Law for Florida

Q: Can I have legal/financial problems for not paying taxes on vacant land lots?

Can I have legal/financial problems for not paying taxes on vacant land lots ( Seabring, Highland County, Florida) that my ex-husbands purchased back in 2004 on my name? I stopped paying taxes and other fees on this lots 6-7 years ago, and worry if eventually county can put lean on my house that is located in Florida also, but different county. What legal consequences county might take to recover unpaid taxes?

1 Lawyer Answer
Barbara Billiot Stage
Barbara Billiot Stage
  • Real Estate Law Lawyer
  • Rockledge, FL

A: The county can auction off the property for unpaid taxes in a tax deed sale. Your bigger concern is if there are any code enforcement violations which have generated fines. If Code Enforcement issues fines it can record liens which attach to any property you own. You also have liability if someone is injured on the property. If the property is in only your name you should sell it. If the property is held jointly consult with a local attorney to see about deeding your portion to your ex if you have no interest in being compensated and/or the problems of having this property in your name outweigh any financial benefit you might obtain.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.