Apopka, FL asked in Criminal Law for South Carolina

Q: Hello. At the age of 7 or 8 I put my breast in a little boy’s mouth. I was not aware it was wrong at the time.

I think i saw someone breast feeding and I tried to do the same. I believe he was about 3 or 4. Can I face legal trouble? I was simply a child and didn’t know.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jonathan Edmond Bennett Lewis
Jonathan Edmond Bennett Lewis
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Columbia, SC
  • Licensed in South Carolina

A: Hello,

No. You were too young to appreciate right from wrong, and children at that age are generally not prosecutable.

There are two components to a crime: a wrongful act, and a wrongful desire to complete the act. The State must prove both. With minors, there is an additional issue that committing a wrongful act and desiring to do that act; you must know that the wrongful act is, in fact wrong. Minor children don't appreciate this. It's why four year olds will strip down naked and run around the yard, but a 16 year old won't.

So, no. You cannot face legal liability/trouble here.

Ryan D Templeton agrees with this answer

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.