Federalsburg, MD asked in Federal Crimes for Maryland

Q: In reference to a previous question regarding crimes being committed more than 15 years old. Is it 15 years since

the guilty conviction, or 15 years since completion of the sentence?

Another question, If I have a PACER account; will I be able to access any court documents that are posted on case-search? For example, A "Sherrif's Return" document?

What does "Sheriff Return" mean?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley
  • Rockville, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: PACER only provides access to federal court dockets. For Maryland court records, you cannot access any actual court documents through the online Judiciary Case Search System. For Internet access to pleadings in Maryland, you need to register with Maryland Court E-File


The only pleadings you can access are those added to the system since E-file came online. E-file has been introduced piecemeal county by county, over the last several years. The three largest jurisdictions are not even on E-file yet: Montgomery, Prince George’s and Baltimore City. You won’t find anything as old as 15 years without submitting a request and paying the copy fees from each court.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.