Kansas City, MO asked in Criminal Law, Employment Law and Sexual Harassment for Georgia

Q: 17yr old son moved in with his 31-year-old supervisor w/o permission. What Georgia laws could this woman be breaking?

I am a Kansas resident and my son was until I let him finish out last year of HS in Georgia with his grandmother on a power of attorney. He hasn't been living with her for the last six months or so and she failed to tell me and lied about it when I asked until I had proof. I'm concerned because he is without proper parental care for his mental and emotional needs. He graduates in May, gets straight A's and turns 18 in July. This woman is taking advantage of him having him work two jobs while finishing high school to help her pay bills b/c apparently her alimony recently ran out. She has already been written up at work also verbally warned for her relationship with him at work. But they continued dating behind their boss's back and they met when he was 16. I know legal age of consent is 16 but he's a minor until he's 18. I'm considering driving down there this week bring him home since his classes are online anyways. Is she breaking the law in any way by enticing or depriving a minor?

1 Lawyer Answer
Tracy S. Reeves Jr.
Tracy S. Reeves Jr.
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Atlanta, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: Unfortunately I do not believe there is any criminal conduct since the relationship began when your son was 16. I do share your concern and it would likely be best for him to leave that situation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.