Elko, GA asked in Collections for Alabama

Q: Looking for a lawyer for a fraud dispute I filed with Al. Vantage/ the program

I filed a dispute for 7000$ with Al Vantage along with a police report and a warrant was issued on the person who fraudulently used my debit number. Most of which was used western union where identification had to b shown. Al Vantage claims they did investigation and determined no fraud.. I need a lawyer to help me with this case

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kevin M Ryan
Kevin M Ryan
  • Collections Lawyer
  • Loxley, AL
  • Licensed in Alabama

A: You may have a claim under the Fair Credit Reporting Act and the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act ( F.D.C.P.A.) You should gather up all of the documents, correspondence and any other evidence you have concerning this transaction. A lawyer will need to determine if there is enough evidence to proceed with a case against the company who accepted the false information. If there is evidence that they reported your account delinquent to the credit bureau after being notified of a valid theft of your identity, or if they refused to remove the entry from your credit report(s), they may be liable under the Fair Credit Reporting Act. If a third party collection agency engaged in collection activity with proof ( evidence) that they knew this was not your account, they may be liable up to $1,000.00 per offense plus your attorney fees under the F.D.C.P.A. There may be other common law tort claims, or a claim for breach of contract if there is sufficient evidence.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.