Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Alabama Collections Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law, Appeals / Appellate Law and Collections for Alabama on
Q: How can a hospital put a claim on my taxes that's over 5 years old
Nelson Craig Johnson
Nelson Craig Johnson answered on Mar 15, 2022

The income tax refund intercept program helps the State of Alabama recover funds from individuals who have not paid debts owed to the State. In 1981, the Alabama Legislature passed an Act that authorized the Department of Revenue to intercept refunds from individuals owing balance to certain State... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Collections and Probate for Alabama on
Q: Can debt be collected from my checking?

We have a shared checking account. In Alabama. No will, no real-estate, no investments, nothing at all but a joint checking account. No joint accounts nothing has my name on it. After the death of the other person on the checking account can any debt be collected from the checking account?

Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery answered on Oct 7, 2021

If a creditor gets a judgment against one of the account holders, then it can be collected from any account which he has an interest in regardless of other owners. A few creditors like the IRS can levy without a judgment.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Contracts, Banking and Collections for Alabama on
Q: New question statute of limitations Alabama

7 years ago in Alabama I bought a car through the dealership and they sold the loan to AlabamaTelco Credit Union. AlabamaTelco is now Avadian Credit Union. I never stepped foot in the credit Union and was never a member. I lost my job and returned the car to Avadian. Now almost 6 years later... Read more »

Nelson Craig Johnson
Nelson Craig Johnson answered on Aug 9, 2021

General statute of limitations for debt collection actions on a contract is six (6) years. If it is a credit card or open line of credit then it is potentially three (3) years. It seems likely that your loan would be a six year statute. Now because your loan has been transferred between different... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Collections for Alabama on
Q: Looking for a lawyer for a fraud dispute I filed with Al. Vantage/ the program

I filed a dispute for 7000$ with Al Vantage along with a police report and a warrant was issued on the person who fraudulently used my debit number. Most of which was used western union where identification had to b shown. Al Vantage claims they did investigation and determined no fraud.. I... Read more »

Kevin M Ryan
Kevin M Ryan answered on Feb 10, 2021

You may have a claim under the Fair Credit Reporting Act and the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act ( F.D.C.P.A.) You should gather up all of the documents, correspondence and any other evidence you have concerning this transaction. A lawyer will need to determine if there is enough evidence to... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law, Appeals / Appellate Law, Collections and Small Claims for Alabama on
Q: How can I have a judgment against me when I’ve never been contacted about any debt?

I am trying to sell my home and my title came back that there is a judgment against me that was filed a year ago. I have never been contacted about this and I have always paid my bills in full, on time. How can they do this without notifying me and how do I fight back? How do I find out who is... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Nov 7, 2020

An Alabama attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for two weeks. As a general matter, depending on state codes of civil procedure for service of process, one possibility is that the creditor could have told the court that they satisfied requirements for proper service and was... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation and Collections for Alabama on
Q: My creditcard company(Discover)is preparing to sue me.Can I be sued(wages garnished,etc) if they are unable to find me?
Kevin M Ryan
Kevin M Ryan answered on Jan 15, 2020

After a reasonable attempt to locate you for personal services of the Summons and Complaint, and after filing an Affidavit with the Court verifying that you are not deployed on United States Military Service, the creditor can file a Motion with the Court for permission / authorization to... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Collections for Alabama on
Q: Is it illegal for a debt collector to come to your house and peep through the blinds in the state of Alabama?
Kevin M Ryan
Kevin M Ryan answered on Aug 8, 2019

The Debt Collector is required to comply with both state and federal law in collecting the debt. They are not allowed to breach the peace, assault or abuse you in any way in their actions to collect the Debt. The critical factor on your end as the Debtor is to collect evidence of these types of... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Consumer Law and Collections for Alabama on
Q: How would the creditor take my income as a 1099 independent? Also is there anyway to stop them I assume filing bankrupt

Also you can only file for bankruptcy once per 7 years is this correct and how can they take my income as a 1099 independent? Is there another way to stop the creditor from taking my income other than bankruptcy?

Mr. James Parrish Coleman
Mr. James Parrish Coleman answered on Jul 11, 2019

A person who is a judgment creditor can garnish your wages or income. Remember, because they have a judgement against you -- the portion that they are able to garnish is theirs, not yours. If you have filed bankruptcy within 7 years you can't file again. They can also garnish your bank... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Employment Law, Contracts and Collections for Alabama on
Q: My wages are being garnished by employment for old credit card debt. If I quit my job and work as a 1099 what can happen

This is in Alabama and the bank is capital one for one judgement for around $1,200 which is being garnished as a regular employee and I have another judgment for $2,000 something that can’t be garnished because I’m already being garnished I never went to court for this. If I was as a 1099 or... Read more »

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Jul 10, 2019

Changing your employment status from regular employee to 1099 independent contractor will NOT stop or prevent a judgment creditor from seizing part of your paycheck. In fact, changing status will INCREASE the amount of the paycheck--which should bring a smile to your judgment creditor's ugly face.

1 Answer | Asked in Collections for Alabama on
Q: I was served a process of garnishment today for a judgement that is dated 11/12/2008.
Kevin M Ryan
Kevin M Ryan answered on Feb 20, 2019

Alabama judgments are enforceable for ten years, and can be revived (renewed) before ten years are up, but they can only be enforced for 20 years. After 20 years, Alabama judgments become worthless

1 Answer | Asked in Collections for Alabama on
Q: Need to know how to handle a collection agency.

I got a phone call from someone who bought an old debt who says I closed a bank acct with an overdraft. They claim this was from an acct from 2008 but has been on my credit report so I should have taken care of it. They are saying it was from Wells Fargo in Mississippi. Wells Fargo wasn't... Read more »

Kevin M Ryan
Kevin M Ryan answered on Sep 25, 2018

The Debt is most likely barred by Alabama's statute of limitations . Please see this article

published by Attorney Brent Yarborough :

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Civil Litigation and Collections for Alabama on
Q: What are the legal options in order to force a freelance client to pay me the money that they agree they owe?

I have a freelance client that agrees that she owes me $220. I wrote a set of articles for my client. They were supposed to be paid for within 30 days of submission date (Jan). After I wrote the articles she stopped answering my emails. I kept emailing her in December to get the best email address... Read more »

Kevin M Ryan
Kevin M Ryan answered on May 6, 2018

The fact summary sets out a “quantum meruit” claim, or “unjust enrichment.”

A written agreement and evidence of breach has a higher chance of success, but her email admission of the claim can be presented in small claims court, where you should file this case. Request all of your...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Collections for Alabama on
Q: Can I do anything about a company calling me about a debt that is already written off.

I've asked them to stop calling me and they continue to do so they have told me they can't Sue me for this debt and it has already been written off. It is no longer on my credit report either.

Rafael Gil III
Rafael Gil III answered on Mar 2, 2018

If the collections account is past the statute of limitations, it's non collectible. Next time they call tell them that pursuant to the Fair Debt Collections Practices Act, they cannot continue to contact you. This is the buzz say that and POOF!! They will stop calling... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce and Collections for Alabama on
Q: What is ala law for interest on judgements since 1995?

The amount is 21152.50 as of June 1, 1995

Rafael Gil III
Rafael Gil III answered on Mar 2, 2018

A judgment is only good for 10 years and can be renewed for another 10 years......maximum amount of time is 20 years. After that date, the judgment is deemed satisfied!!

1 Answer | Asked in Collections for Alabama on
Q: Can wife lose property that's only in her name if husband has outstanding debt?

My father has accumulated tons of debt over the past 2 years due to poor financial decisions, my mother owns property which is in her name only, she's terrified that she will lose it if my fathers debt collectors decide that they want their money, is it possible for her to lose it?

Rafael Gil III
Rafael Gil III answered on Mar 2, 2018

No, you cannot marry into debt. Point being, your mother is NOT responsible for any debt that your father incurs in his own name.

1 Answer | Asked in Collections for Alabama on
Q: I paid plaintiff in full one day before court. Do I need to come to my court date
Rafael Gil III
Rafael Gil III answered on Mar 2, 2018

I would. You do not want the plaintiff going to court and misrepresenting to the court any of the facts. You want them to announce that the case is dismissed WITH prejudice.

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Collections and Contracts for Alabama on
Q: I paid someone $3,000.00 for a mobile home. There was a signed contract, but he didn't deliver it or refund the money.

He gave me the option of either continuing to wait on him or receive a full refund

I asked him for a refund and he assured me that he would refund me the money. I have not received the refund yet. Can I file a police report?

Rafael Gil III
Rafael Gil III answered on Mar 2, 2018

Yes, I would file charges against's called "theft by deception!" good luck....

1 Answer | Asked in Banking, Consumer Law, Collections and Elder Law for Alabama on
Q: How can I get copies of a bank judgement and all supporting documentation?

I recently received notice from a local bank that they have an old judgement against me and my late husband but I do not believe that I owe it and do not recall signing the papers. I have repeatedly requested all documentation supporting the balance and judgement. But they simply ignore me and... Read more »

Rafael Gil III
Rafael Gil III answered on Mar 2, 2018

I would go by the county courthouse in the county that you live or in the county where that bank is located (where you signed the loan/contract) and they can look up the case and whether or not there is a judgment on the case.

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation and Collections for Alabama on
Q: i jointly own rental property in AL with my x-wife. We live in FL. Can a creditor attach a lien in AL for money I owe?

Property in AL titled survivorship warranty deed fee simple.

Rafael Gil III
Rafael Gil III answered on Mar 2, 2018

Yes, if you owe money to a creditor AND they obtain a judgment they can place it on any and all property you own in your name....this is regardless of whether or not you own it jointly with someone else! If they do not have a judgment, they can't arbitrarily place a lien on the land.... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Collections for Alabama on
Q: Can a debtor make a writ of garnishment null and void if that person was not "warned" in writing that one was coming?

I have a money judgment against my ex daughter-in-law. She told my son that she will nullify the writ of garnishment because I, as the creditor, did not send her proper notification. I have not contacted her because she takes it out on my son by reducing the time he has with my grandson. It is... Read more »

Rafael Gil III
Rafael Gil III answered on Mar 2, 2018

No, she cannot. As long as you have a writ of garnishment, you can levy her bank accounts and/or garnish her wages. Notice is not required. Just serve her employer or bank. Notice would make it impossible to execute the writ.....they would simply empty out the bank account before you levied... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.