Houston, TX asked in Criminal Law and Domestic Violence for Washington

Q: Can the DA in district court compel a victim of domestic violence class c misdemeanor to testify in a an MTR hearing?

Even if he didnt press charges or participate in the municipal case against defendant/girlfriend? Ok he got a summons to appear at my MTR hearing to testify for the state. This is not the municipal where the charges are. This is an MTR hearing that is scheduled for another reason having nothing to do with this class c misdemeanor charge. Does that make sense now? Is the answer yes he can be compelled to testify in proceedings that aren't related.

1 Lawyer Answer
Patrick Owen Earl
Patrick Owen Earl
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Moses Lake, WA
  • Licensed in Washington

A: If you are asking if a DA can subpoena an alleged victim or witness to testify in a case than YES the DA can do this. There are different ways or methods of getting a subpoena to a person so if the person that is being asked to testify has questions about their rights that person should consult directly with a criminal defense attorney NOW.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.