Jackson, NJ asked in Family Law and Child Support for New Jersey

Q: children are covered through the state by the mother for health. Will the medical support notice be sent to my employer?

We had a mutual agreement she would

Get them covered through state but order states I’m responsible does the child support agency look


If they are covered before they send out notice?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Richard Diamond
Richard Diamond
  • Millburn, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: If you and your ex had an agreement as to coverage for the children but the order entered by the judge hearing the child support issue entered an order requiring you to provide health insurance coverage for the children, then you need to file an application with the court immediately to correct that order, since its inconsistent with the understanding you had with your ex as to coverage. If your ex is still in agreement with you as to how coverage was to be provided for the children, then you should get her to sign an affidavit as part of your application for correction of the prior court order, where she acknowledges that the health insurance provision of the prior court order is wrong and that she agreed to obtain health insurance coverage through the state program. If she does not recall that agreement with you or has had a change of heart as to who is to supply coverage, then you probably need to meet with counsel since you will then need to add the children to your health insurance plan and be responsible for the cost of that coverage.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.