Las Vegas, NV asked in Real Estate Law and Probate for Nevada

Q: My husbands father passed here in Nevada. Will states 50/50 between he and his sister. She refuses to uphold the will.

His assets are a house worth near $300,000 and a car that are solely in his name. However, his sister is in possession of and claims he bought for her. Is my husband entitled to half of these assets? Will this have to be settled in probate court? Is there any instance she would be awarded everything?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Crossville, TN

A: You need to hire a Nevada probate attorney to help you probate your father’s estate according to his will. It sounds like that process hasn’t even begun. If it has begun, then you need to hire a probate attorney to protect your rights.

Delwyn E. Webber
Delwyn E. Webber
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Las Vegas, NV
  • Licensed in Nevada

A: I agree with Counsel below. In most circumstances in NV, the Will needs to go through Probate before the assets can be transferred to the heirs. Your husband really should meet with NV Counsel who can discuss his rights.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.