Salt Lake City, UT asked in Construction Law, Contracts and Employment Law for Colorado

Q: Construction contract has been breached by made up unreasonable claim that job wasn’t done right what are my options

Homeowner is refusing to pay the labor contract for the completed basement. Double standard on only agreeing to pay labor amount for contract limiting profitable margins and now has a livable space that’s worth around 120k. Contract breach amount is 12k and I’m wondering if I can sue for unjust enrichment for the market value he has retained since he has breached on the claim of market value he claims he is using money owed to pay for our work to be done over. Fictitious claim every thing done to industry standard and I have evidence he was happy and then when we where done he paid half of the 12k promised the rest in a week and we traveled back to Utah and he then stopped payment on the portion paid and refused the entire 12k

He was unwilling to pay for the management end of the contract and was more involved like an employer and now wants to treat me as if I had money included for a profit margin to take away based on fictitious claims. Very obvious malicious intent in text mess

1 Lawyer Answer
Donald C Eby
Donald C Eby
  • Colorado Springs, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: You have a right to get paid for the work you did and to enforce your contract. Have you considered recording a mechanic's lien?

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.