Winnetka, IL asked in Criminal Law, Federal Crimes and Internet Law for Illinois

Q: How are police able to track you on the internet if you committed a crime?

If you committed a cyber crime can police track you in any way other then an ip address? Like via your internet browser even if the cyber crime took place on a different website other then your internet search site or a MAC address? If they are able to track you only through an ip address and you used a vpn with a strict no logs policy what is the likelihood they will be able to track you down. But if they can track you down other then with an ip address what are the other ways they can track you. Also the cyber crime took place on a computer not a cell phone if that makes a difference.

1 Lawyer Answer
Juan Ooink
Juan Ooink
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Bolingbrook, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: First, you need to stop posting information regarding a potential crime. Second, if you have been charged with an offense, you need to hire a Criminal Defense Attorney right away. Finally, DO NOT speak to the police without an attorney by your side.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.