Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Illinois Internet Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Federal Crimes and Internet Law for Illinois on
Q: How are police able to track you on the internet if you committed a crime?

If you committed a cyber crime can police track you in any way other then an ip address? Like via your internet browser even if the cyber crime took place on a different website other then your internet search site or a MAC address? If they are able to track you only through an ip address and you... Read more »

Juan Ooink
Juan Ooink answered on Feb 22, 2021

First, you need to stop posting information regarding a potential crime. Second, if you have been charged with an offense, you need to hire a Criminal Defense Attorney right away. Finally, DO NOT speak to the police without an attorney by your side.

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law, Elder Law and Internet Law for Illinois on
Q: Victim of bad theft case from my brother n his wife/lied 2 detective he believed her 2) No questions to my brother

They have sold on ebay auctions etc large sports memorabilia collection other collectibles etc both are on social security disability barely was getting by every month paid 1 house off bought another 1 n paid a lawyer $20,000 to fight me on my own property i reported them to office of the IG

George W. Svoboda
George W. Svoboda answered on Aug 12, 2020

Did they steal the collectibles from you? Did they use that money to buy the new house? If the police won't pursue the theft, you can't force them. You can sue them for the cost of your stuff. Do they have enough equity in the house to go after? However, they could then file bankruptcy... Read more »

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Communications Law, Internet Law, Criminal Law and Civil Rights for Illinois on
Q: Can my girlfriend use my last name on social media

My gf n i broke up she has my washer dryer and freezer i messaged her to ask when i could come by and get them no answer so i tried instagram and found out she is using my last name and now claiming im harassing her when she never told me to stop nor did she just block me but i told her i would be... Read more »

Gary Kollin
Gary Kollin answered on Sep 11, 2019



(of relations between people) having a spirit of friendliness; without serious disagreement or rancor.

"there will be an amicable settlement of the dispute"

synonyms: friendly, good-natured, cordial, civil, courteous, polite, easy,...
Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Copyright, Intellectual Property and Internet Law for Illinois on
Q: I am building an ecommerce website similar to Amazon, allowing third-party sellers, etc.

For the media items, like movies & tv shows, I have embedded trailers from YouTube into the listings. According to YouTube, as long as videos are embedded and not copy & pasted, this is perfectly acceptable, allowable, and legal, found here:... Read more »

Griffin Klema
Griffin Klema answered on Apr 16, 2019

If you have created a successful business, you're going to get silly/aggressive/unfounded accusers, just be ready and have a good lawyer on retainer to deal with such issues as they arise.

As for embedding YouTube videos onto your own website (for profit), this is a common question....
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Internet Law and Libel & Slander for Illinois on
Q: Are shaming sites legal? People privately submit stories of others they know, bad stories, meant to expose them.

I know doxing is illegal, say they post address and phone, but what if they just post the city / state, is that illegal?

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Nov 3, 2018

As a general rule, if people intentionally publish false things about others, verbally or in writing, they could be sued for defamation.

Tim Akpinar

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law, Communications Law, Contracts and Internet Law for Illinois on
Q: Events management company wanting to use attendees headshots in marketing on social media (i.e. twitter, LinkedIn, etc).

what are the legalities behind this? do we need to ask permission first?

Carrie A. Ward
Carrie A. Ward answered on Mar 15, 2018

You need affirmative consent to use their images for promotional purposes. Did you hav them sign a release? Were they provided affirmative notice that their pictures were taken and may be used for promotional purposes? An experienced attorney in the promotional space can help you develop the... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Communications Law, Criminal Law and Internet Law for Illinois on
Q: What type of lawyer handles threats to post nude pictures to the internet?

Ex wife emailed nude pictures of present wife to the present wife's employer and is now threatening to email them to more people.

Nrupa Patel
Nrupa Patel answered on Jul 5, 2017

You need to report this to the police ASAP. Dessimating photos like this without consent is a crime.

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Criminal Law, Family Law and Internet Law for Illinois on
Q: Someone I know has been sending me harassing emails, over 25+ in the last 2 mo. a comment on my FB business page

She also is accusing me of false allegations. I kindly asked her to stop but, she hasn't. This stems from a family fued between my boyfriend and her husband which I have nothing to do with. What can I do to protect myself?

Ray Choudhry
Ray Choudhry answered on Apr 28, 2017

Harassing emails may entitle you to an order of protection.

The settings on Facebook may allow you to block a specific person.

1 Answer | Asked in Copyright, Intellectual Property and Internet Law for Illinois on
Q: Hello! I am a freelance journalist who will be starting a regular column with an independent website.

I'd like to title my column "7upandwine" and have a correspondinge website "" -- Would including "7up" in my column name and website open me up to legal response? For example does it infringe on some kind of copyright law? I'd eventually like... Read more »

Susan M Hankins
Susan M Hankins answered on Dec 1, 2016

Potential Trademark violation. I would expect a response. You could ask for permission and at least display their trademark with the term 7up.

1 Answer | Asked in Internet Law for Illinois on
Q: How can you stop people from posting negative press on the internet
Burton A. Padove
Burton A. Padove answered on May 19, 2011

One possible way is a cease and desist letter from an attorney. If the negative information is not true, a libel suit is a possibility.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.