North Las Vegas, NV asked in Family Law and Child Support for Nevada

Q: My ex just got an ex party order granted to extend the time to file her reply and counter motion. Can I appeal this?

On January 16 I brought to her attention that she was breaking the Stipulation and Order filed with the court. At this time she directed me to only contact her attorney which I did. I filed the motion to reconsider and a motion to show cause of contempt of court for many reasons. These documents were sent directly to her attorney on January 18 because that is what she wanted, and her attorney had not withdrawn from handling the first motions. Her attorney even responded back and acknowledged that the motion had been filed and gave some information but still refuses to provide any important documents I have requested. No reply was filed and then on February 12 they filed for the ex parte to extend the time to file, which was much later than their 14 day deadline. Their excuse was pretty much that my ex didnt pay them on time so they should get the extension (which they got). Shouldn't this be enough proof to show that they are just not doing the work?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Bonnie M Lonardo
Bonnie M Lonardo
  • Las Vegas, NV
  • Licensed in Nevada

A: In my experience, this extension is very commonly offered as a courtesy by either opposing attorneys or by the court. You do have the option to object, however, in my opinion it may not serve you well in the long run if you do return to court.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.