Asked in Child Custody, Child Support and Divorce for Alabama

Q: I adopted my son but me and his mother divorced can I relinquish my parental rights..........

1 Lawyer Answer
Kristine Jones
Kristine Jones
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Montgomery, AL
  • Licensed in Alabama

A: Hello. If someone else wanted to adopt him, you could voluntarily allow the other person to adopt. Terminating your rights would be in juvenile court. The courts do not terminate (TPR) parents easily because it cannot be undone. When you adopted him, he became your son, as in any ties to his previous father were severed. So when you TPR yourself, you are leaving him without a legal father and the courts are unwilling to do that to a child without good reason. For a better explanation of how your local judge views TPRs, consider consulting with a family law attorney/JU court practitioner in your county. Best of luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.