Minneapolis, MN asked in DUI / DWI for North Dakota

Q: Is there a certain amount of time to resolve a dui case?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Rick Sand
Rick Sand
  • DUI & DWI Lawyer
  • Bismarck, ND
  • Licensed in North Dakota

A: This is a very interesting question. In order to give the best answer, it is important to know a few things: Is this a first offense DUI, or does the person have previous DUI convictions? Does the person have an out-of-state driver's license? Was there a chemical test performed (breath, blood, urine) or is the charge for refusing to take a chemical test?

Once these have been established, it is important to review the discovery in the case. "Discovery" means all of the evidence that law enforcement has provided to the prosecutor's office. This generally consists of the police report, chemical test results, witness statements, audio/video evidence (dash cam, body cam, security footage, etc.), and/or photographic evidence. Once this discovery is evaluated, it may be determined that the next best step in the case is for the attorney to bring a motion to suppress or motion to dismiss evidence. This can be for a number of reasons - but generally has to do with an underlying constitutional violation by law enforcement during the stip that would render certain evidence inadmissible (i.e incriminating statements given by a defendant absent a proper Miranda warning).

The final aspect is whether or not it would be in the defendant's best interest to take the case to trial. There are many factors to consider when making a decision like this: What type, if any, plea agreement offer has been made by the prosecution? How strong is that State's evidence against the defendant? Again, what type of criminal history does the defendant have (this is generally considered for potential sentencing risks)?

Given all of these considerations, it is highly recommended to seek legal representation if you have been charged with DUI, APC, or any other type of crime in North Dakota.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.