Woodland, CA asked in Animal / Dog Law for California

Q: my dog who is chipped in my name all vet records are in my name was stolen from ca and taken to Indiana what can I do?

A former friend moved to California from Indiana and I agreed to let her stay with us. She stayed with me for 8 months. There started to be issues in the household and finally it got to the point that she attacked me and to prevent further problems I left the house to go calm down I was gone for 30 minutes and she had locked me out and changed the locks with my dog inside with her. I finally regained entry with a locksmith and police to find no trace. Filed a report with the local police and hoped to find him. 7 months later and I find out she is in Indiana with my dog (witness verified) how do I go about getting my dog back? She has tried to claim I gave him to her but that is not true I simply wrote a letter stating in the event that something happens to me I wanted him to be placed in her care. Now I know where they are and want my dog back. She also stole a bunch of my belongings and has gotten into all my online accounts and has put charges on a card she took from my mailbox!

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
William John Light
William John Light
  • Animal & Dog Law Lawyer
  • Riverside, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Report the dog as stolen to the particular police department in Indiana. If that isn't effective, you would need to retain Indiana attorneys to initiate a replevin action, or perhaps that can be done in Indiana Small Claims. Consult with an Indiana attorney for more specific information.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.