North Las Vegas, NV asked in Child Support and Family Law for Nevada

Q: Am I allowed to modify child support with my current situation?

1 year ago my ex moved out of town and gave me full custody of our son. She quit her job and refuses to look for workAt the time we agreed that nobody would pay child support but she would be responsible for 50% of clothes and school supplies. She has not followed that part of the Stipulation and Order that was filed with the court and refuses to pay child support. I was laid off in September and filed a motion to modify child support. The judge said that I proved a change in circumstances and would receive child support. He sent us to mediation to complete a parenting plan and set a continued hearing to rule on the amount. Before that could happen my case was transferred to a new judge. She ruled that I am not entitled to support. My income definitely changed more than 20% and I would think losing a job qualifies as a change in circumstances (since the first judge said so) and my ex is now selling food online, but its all under the table. I found a new job but dont make as much.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Bonnie M Lonardo
Bonnie M Lonardo
  • Las Vegas, NV
  • Licensed in Nevada

A: I suggest you seek guidance from an experienced Family Law attorney that can help to review your case and the judge's ruling to best determine your available options.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.