Phoenix, AZ asked in Personal Injury for Arizona

Q: Statute, law would apply to Retail Store Premises Injury? Metal Security door fell, hit me in the head,

I was hit in the head by a metal security door frame at Home Depot. Doctors said I have a closed head injury/TBI. Their security chains were not in place. The insurance company dragged this out and now my 2 year mark is coming up on Friday. I am trying to submit a summons/civil complaint to keep my case open. I tried to find an attorney but on such short notice they will not help and I couldn't find one that would do Limited Scope Representation, so I am trying to do this myself. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am just unaware of what statutes or law were broken as that has to be included.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing

A: I do not know Arizona law, and this should not be taken as legal advice but I would generally suggest you 1)go to the town where the Home Depot is and see what names it is registered under for the Certificate of Occupancy, and get that address.

2) Go to your county law library right now. They likely have a book for a continuing Legal Education Course for new lawyers on "basics of filing a case." look at it--that will have step by step instructions.

3) worst comes to the worst, offer to pay a lawyer for their time to tell you what to do. Make sure you have whatever copies you need. Contact the Bar Association for your County. Most have a "lawyer referral service."

4.) If that home depot store is registered out of state, you can file your case in US district court if your claim is worth more than $75,000.

Good luck!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.